Wednesday, May 24, 2006

what do you say?




sunday is a fun day. it's my only day off during the week. hang out. do some laundry sometimes. maybe have some drinks with friends.

about two weeks ago summer officially started. and i'm in florida. so it's hot. quite hot. it's sticky and gross and suffocating hot. this is about the time of year when i cannot drink red wine. especially outside. i am slowly befriending sauvignon blanc, but it is a long process. i just need something light, refreshing, and very very cold. so what do i get?

a mojito.

white rum, soda, sugar, lime and mint. gently meddle the mint and sugar together. either with a mortar and pestal or in the glass with said meddler. bruise the mint enough to release the flavor. add rum and lime juice. stir. drink.

we'll have two mojitos please. ok.

for a bartender, mojitos are not very fun to make. they take a while and actually require some physical labor. so i tend to give a small apology or a disclaimer if you will. i love them but i hate to order them. and i will only ask for one round. the bartender, who is also a friend, is kind of new so we say- hey. you got that right?

of couse he knows how to make a mojito. he says.

maybe six minutes later he sets down two glasses of scientific wonder.
my friend and i look at eachother horrified.
he has to get up and leave before he dies laughing.

somehow the bartender managed to turn the mint into a nasty pulpy sludge. it floated to the top and turned the entire drink green. and then he gave them to us. to drink.
for those of you who do not know what a mojito is or looks like - i have included a picture of one. can you guess which one it is?
now- to his credit- they kind of actually tasted like mojitos. not good mojitos, but mojitos none the less. my friend poured most of his into the bush.

how are they, guys?

fantastic! thank you so much!

because... what do you say? he is our friend. not a best friend. but we do hang out. and he was taking himself very seriously. i know we could have asked for something else. but we couldn't bring ourselves to it.

a mistake is one thing. this was just blasphemous.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

I brush my teeth everyday, more than once. If I'm out, I always swish with water after the meal (much to the dismay of whoever I'm with). However, 4 days of brushing and swishing has gone by and as I sat here swishing yet again, something dislodges from somewhere in my mouth. As it hits my tongue I think, what the hell? I must know, I pull it out and . . . mint.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home